Originally published 10/27/2014
"History education in the schools is clearly the victim of Common Core and efforts by New York and other states to secure federal Race to the Top dollars."
Originally published 03/26/2014
Professor says 'institutional racism' is behind a failure to recruit ethnic minority trainees.
Originally published 03/11/2014
Differences in history classrooms reflect the social discourse problems that underline China and Japan’s conflict.
Originally published 11/26/2013
Charles Upton Sahm
These are tragic statistics.
Originally published 11/17/2013
History education is preparing students for the pre-Internet world. Here's how to bring the K-12 history classroom into the twenty-first century.
Originally published 04/17/2013
Robert Townsend is the AHA’s deputy director, and the author of History’s Babel: Scholarship, Professionalization, and the Historical Enterprise, 1880–1940 (Univ. of Chicago Press).During the 2010–11 academic year, the number of undergraduate students earning degrees in history dropped—albeit by a small percentage—for the first time in a decade, even as the number of students earning degrees in all fields continued to rise. As a result, the history discipline's share of degrees earned in 2011 declined to the lowest level in 10 years (fig. 1).According to new information from the Department of Education, history programs conferred 35,059 bachelor's degrees in the discipline, and another 3,588 students earned degrees with history as their second major. Together, 0.6 percent fewer students earned history degrees this year compared to last.1
Originally published 01/06/2013
Howard Zinn speaking in 2009. Credit: Wiki Commons.
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity