Millions of Americans around the country performed their civic duty at the voting booth. But in New Hampshire, there’s growing concern that students aren’t learning enough about the historical foundations behind that tradition.
SOURCE: Huffington Post
by Alan Singer
"History education in the schools is clearly the victim of Common Core and efforts by New York and other states to secure federal Race to the Top dollars."
SOURCE: The Guardian
Professor says 'institutional racism' is behind a failure to recruit ethnic minority trainees.
SOURCE: The Diplomat
by Zheng Wang
Differences in history classrooms reflect the social discourse problems that underline China and Japan’s conflict.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
by Charles Upton Sahm
These are tragic statistics.
by Sam Wineburg
History education is preparing students for the pre-Internet world. Here's how to bring the K-12 history classroom into the twenty-first century.
SOURCE: Robert Townsend in AHA Perspectives
Robert Townsend is the AHA’s deputy director, and the author of History’s Babel: Scholarship, Professionalization, and the Historical Enterprise, 1880–1940 (Univ. of Chicago Press).During the 2010–11 academic year, the number of undergraduate students earning degrees in history dropped—albeit by a small percentage—for the first time in a decade, even as the number of students earning degrees in all fields continued to rise. As a result, the history discipline's share of degrees earned in 2011 declined to the lowest level in 10 years (fig. 1).According to new information from the Department of Education, history programs conferred 35,059 bachelor's degrees in the discipline, and another 3,588 students earned degrees with history as their second major. Together, 0.6 percent fewer students earned history degrees this year compared to last.1
by Robert Cohen
Howard Zinn speaking in 2009. Credit: Wiki Commons.
- USA Today Publishes New Articles As Part Of Series, "1619: Searching for Answers"
- Washington doesn't have a Latino history museum. These people are hoping to change that
- A history of key United Auto Workers strikes against GM
- Fact-checking Andrew Yang on history of universal basic income
- Hobby Lobby Will Return Biblical Antiquities Allegedly Stolen by Oxford Professor
- Historians Allison Horrocks and Mary Mahoney bring history to life in podcast
- Modern art historian, US museum director and clergyman EA Carmean, Jr has died, age 74
- Historian Andrew David Teaching Impeachment during an Impeachment Inquiry
- Historian Brad Simpson Says He's Never Read a Letter As Unhinged As Trump's To Erdogan
- Academic Twitter's Gender Imbalance