Columbia Professor Retires in Settlement of Sexual Harassment LawsuitHistorians in the News
tags: sex scandals, sexual harassment, Columbia, William V Harris
Dr. William V. Harris, a renowned Greco-Roman historian and longtime professor at Columbia University, retired on Monday as part of the settlement of a sexual harassment lawsuit.
The retirement, which Columbia announced in an email to students and faculty members on Monday afternoon, came nearly three months after an anonymous graduate student filed a lawsuit against Dr. Harris alleging that he had kissed and groped her repeatedly while he was her academic mentor, and then disparaged her to colleagues when she rebuffed his advances. The student, identified only as Jane Doe, also sued the university for what she called its “deliberate indifference” to her complaints about him.
After the lawsuit was filed on Oct. 2, Dr. Harris wrote in an email to The New York Times that he had no comment and referred a reporter to Columbia’s lawyers. In an email late Monday night Dr. Harris referred The Times to his lawyer and a lawyer for Columbia, neither of whom could immediately be reached for comment.
The terms of the settlement were not immediately known.
In a statement, David Sanford, Jane Doe’s lawyer, called the settlement “excellent.” ...
comments powered by Disqus
- 50 Years Later, It Feels Familiar: How America Fractured in 1968
- Hawaii False Alarm Hints at Thin Line Between Mishap and Nuclear War
- Ohio Teacher Put on Leave After Lynching Remark to Black Student
- One year in, Donald Trump has redefined the presidency
- In Trump’s Immigration Remarks, Echoes of a Century-Old Racial Ranking
- Sports Historian Explains Why She Wrote that the NCAA is the Modern Jim Crow
- Ibram X. Kendi says "The Heartbeat of Racism Is Denial”
- Historians Call Trump’s ‘Sh*thole’ Comment "The Most Openly Racist by a President in Decades"
- Bruce Cole, renaissance scholar who led National Endowment for the Humanities, dies at 79
- New book lays out for the first time the full story of Cuba's Cuban Missile Crisis