Where Was Such Solidarity Two Weeks Ago?
by Frederick Gooding, Jr.
The author is skeptical of the sudden wave of "performative solidarity" by white individuals and corporate America. Ensuring that Black Lives matter will require solidarity in the long term.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
This was the most gutting month for liberals in half a century
by Todd Gitlin
Does the arc of the moral universe still bend toward justice?
SOURCE: The New Republic
The Long, Tortured History of the Job Guarantee
by Peter-Christian Aigner and Michael Brenes
How liberals, over decades, worked to undermine a proposal that has long enjoyed public support.
SOURCE: Democracy: A Journal of Ideas
Mass Psychology in the Age of Trump
by John T. Jost and Orsolya Hunyady
Why is Trump driving liberals berserk? Is it him or us—or both?
SOURCE: New Republic
What Liberals Can Learn From Conservatism
by Jonathan Zimmerman
Criticizing the president with the kind of radical rhetoric he uses is toxic for American democracy.
Mark Lilla’s book against identity politics continues to draw the fire of liberals
by Jim Sleeper
One line of attack: He’s playing into the hands of a well-funded conservative campaign to highlight examples of political correctness that distract us from real injustices.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
Are Liberals on the Wrong Side of History?
by Adam Gopnik
Three new books interrogate the premises of the Enlightenment.
Ten Questions for Conservatives
by Lawrence S. Wittner
The questions suggest conservatives say one thing but do another.
Liberals, Stop Whining and Do Something
by Julian Zelizer
If liberals really want change, they need to make it happen at the grassroots level.
CU launches diversity study
BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — University of Colorado regents are conducting a survey to determine whether the school respects diversity for people who disagree on politics, race, gender and sexual orientation.The survey, which was approved Thursday by University of Colorado regents, is planned for the upcoming school year on all campuses.Some conservatives have expressed concern that many educators are too liberal, while other critics have complained that some school officials are intolerant of social differences.In March, the university hired a history professor to be the resident conservative at the Boulder campus. Steven Hayward will serve as the school's first visiting scholar in conservative thought and policy, a temporary position paid by more than $1 million in private funds....
Liberals: Stop Making Excuses for Obama
by Mary L. Dudziak
Credit: Obama for America.Cross-posted from Balkanization.Sandy Levinson took Maureen Dowd to task for her column last week, “No Bully in the Pulpit,” which criticized President Obama for failing to pull the votes together to get the gun control bill through the Senate. “Now it's Maureen Dowd who can't connect the dots,” he said.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History