SOURCE: Associated Press
Medgar Evers' home established as a national monument in Jackson
“Medgar and Myrlie Evers are heroes whose contributions to the advancement of civil rights in Mississippi and our nation cannot be overstated,” U.S. Sen Roger Wicker said in a statement.
SOURCE: The Daily Universe
Downsized national monuments threaten Native American history, opponents say
Whether it’s construction of a proposed oil pipeline across Native American lands or the federal government’s recent decision to downsize national monuments in the West, many people who have lived in these areas for decades say their voices aren’t being heard.
The Treasures of Chaco Canyon Are Threatened by Drilling
by Richard Moe
Oil and gas drilling nearby could damage these fragile sites.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
Trump is being sued to stop him from shrinking Bears Ears national monument by 85 percent. Who will win?
Native tribes exist in an odd semi-sovereign legal state, which often pits tribal rights against the rights of states, or the authority of the federal government, or both. Such conflicts are frequently resolved in the courts — where the odds are not in the tribes’ favor.
SOURCE: The Los Angeles Times
Trump taking unprecedented action to revoke national monument designations in West
The president’s actions were a dramatic departure from conventional interpretations of the 1906 Antiquities Act, on which the monument designations are based.
Trump’s Racking Up the Worst Record on the Environment Since Reagan
by Ronald L. Feinman
Case in point: His attempt to roll back national monuments created by Barack Obama.
SOURCE: The Hill
Fight over national monuments intensifies
House Republicans are moving forward with a bill to reform a century-old conservation law, raising the stakes in their ongoing effort to curtail the president's’ ability to set aside wide swaths of federal land as national monuments and protect them from future development.
SOURCE: Mother Jones
Who Will Tell Your Story? Probably Not Donald Trump.
by Tim Murphy
Our national monuments are in his hands now.
The Trump Administration’s Review of National Monuments Smacks of Paternalism
by Adam M. Sowards
Once again the federal government is talking down to Native Americans.
Obama Designates Two New National Monuments, Protecting 1.65 Million Acres
The order protects an estimated 100,000 archaeological sites, including ancient cliff dwellings.
Eric Foner calls on Obama in the NYT to designate a national monument for Reconstruction
by Gregory P. Downs, Eric Foner, Kate Masur
"This is a crucial time to commemorate Reconstruction.”
Obama to Name New National Monuments
President Obama, who has been criticized for favoring oil and gas development over land conservation in his first term, on Monday will designate five new national monuments, according to officials briefed on the decision.They are the First State National Monument in Delaware and Pennsylvania; the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument in New Mexico; the San Juan Islands National Monument in Washington State; Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument in Ohio and a monument commemorating Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railway in Maryland....
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of