Originally published 08/14/2017
Our national monuments are in his hands now.
Originally published 05/22/2017
Adam M. Sowards
Once again the federal government is talking down to Native Americans.
Originally published 12/29/2016
The order protects an estimated 100,000 archaeological sites, including ancient cliff dwellings.
Originally published 12/14/2016
Gregory P. Downs, Eric Foner, Kate Masur
"This is a crucial time to commemorate Reconstruction.”
Originally published 03/22/2013
President Obama, who has been criticized for favoring oil and gas development over land conservation in his first term, on Monday will designate five new national monuments, according to officials briefed on the decision.They are the First State National Monument in Delaware and Pennsylvania; the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument in New Mexico; the San Juan Islands National Monument in Washington State; Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument in Ohio and a monument commemorating Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railway in Maryland....
- "I've studied the history of Confederate memorials. Here's what to do about them."
- Annette Gordon-Reed writes about why Jefferson matters more than ever after Charlottesville
- Harvard’s Maya Jasanoff vists the Congo and discovers people there probably live harder lives than they did 100 years ago when Joseph Conrad was there
- Eric Foner says in an interview that it’s not necessary to remove Confederate statues
- Philip Zelikow says the government should crack down on armed groups of militants