French newspaper Le Monde apologises for magazine cover amid claims it 'likened Macron to Hitler'Breaking News
tags: Hitler, Emmanuel Macron, Le Monde
France’s distinguished newspaper of record, Le Monde, has been forced to apologise for a magazine cover that provoked outrage by appearing to draw a visual parallel between President Emmanuel Macron and Adolf Hitler.
The cover of Le Monde’s Saturday magazine featured a black-and-white photograph of Mr Macron, with an image of “yellow vest” protesters surging towards the Arc de Triomphe.
Horrified readers expressed indignation on social media, pointing out its similarity with a Harper’s Magazine cover in July last year that pictured Hitler, overlaid with a crowd performing the Nazi salute.
comments powered by Disqus
- Watching 'Chernobyl': How Important Are Visuals for Understanding History?
- The Surprising Things Arctic Ice Can Tell Us About Human History
- 'History on a stick’ signs disappearing too fast to keep up
- Colin Palmer, Historian of the African Diaspora, Is Dead at 75
- What and Whom Are Jewish Museums For?