SOURCE: The Telegraph
Le Monde insisted that it had not intended to portray Mr Macron as being akin to Hitler.
by Walter Russell Mead
Western political systems are under strain despite good economic times.
SOURCE: Fareed’s Global Briefing
by Fareed Zacharia
Monsieur Macron is wrong.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
He says the U.S. had to rescue them.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
France will formally acknowledge the French military’s systemic use of torture in the Algerian War in the 1950s and 1960s, an unprecedented step forward in grappling with its long-suppressed legacy of colonial crimes.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Elizabeth Benjamin
Instead of celebrating the occasion, the French president appears to be inadvertently recreating it.
SOURCE: Foreign Policy
by Robert Zaretsky
Leftists want to celebrate revolutionary idealism; conservatives, the triumph of traditional authority. And Emmanuel Macron is trying to split the difference.
- Jill Lepore Reviews Seven New Books About the Apollo 11 Mission
- ‘Reckoning’ Follows a 50-Year Road to #MeToo
- The Daughters of the Confederacy Who Turned Their Heritage to Political Ends
- What Should Happen to Confederate Statues? A City Auctions One for $1.4 Million
- Richmond Is at a Crossroads. Will Arthur Ashe Boulevard Point the Way?
- Leading historians and academics to launch five-year project to chronicle the UK's history dating back to 1603
- Holocaust historians divided over Warsaw ghetto museum
- The Holocaust Survivor Who Deciphered Nazi Doublespeak
- Peter Selz, Curator and Art Historian Committed to the New, Is Dead at 100
- When John Hope Franklin and Pepsi Made a Black History Record