Israel has proved the Nazis wrong, says historian Simon SchamaHistorians in the News
tags: Holocaust, Israel, Nazi, Simon Schama
Israel is the ultimate riposte to the Nazis’ attempt to exterminate the Jewish people, Simon Schama has declared.
The acclaimed historian gave the Balfour Centenary Lecture on Wednesday evening, celebrating Israel as a “living, breathing, thriving democracy” of “six-million Jews who are nothing short of a crushing retort to Hitler and the Shoah.”
The historian discussed the persecution of European Jewry before the Second World War, emphasising that a “first Holocaust” had already taken place before the advent of the Third Reich.
He said: “Israel still stands as a living, breathing, debating, thriving, rejoicing democracy. Israel’s six million Jews are the ultimate retort to the number that Adolf Hitler exterminated.
“The life of Israel is Hitler’s failure.” ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Odds of a Contested November Election Are on the Rise
- Penguin Classics and Others Work to Diversify Offerings From the Canon
- Coping With Coronavirus Disappointments: Five Lessons From Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- The Case Against Waging ‘War’ on the Coronavirus
- Helen Hunt Brings Trailblazing War Journalist to Life in "World On Fire"
- And The Winners of the 2020 Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards Are ...
- AHA's Committee on LGBT History Announces Hardship Grants
- What Both the Left and the Right Get Wrong About the Coronavirus Economic Crisis
- As COVID-19 Spreads, Mary Barra Needs To Denounce Trump As Bad For Capitalism
- Pandemics and the Shape of Human History