Medicare for all sounds great, but BernieCare is a political flopRoundup
tags: Medicare, Affordable Care Act, Bernie Sanders, BernieCare
... Sanders’s proposal actually scraps Medicare’s operating model, which mimics the private sector’s insurance-company-based structure, including the use of private insurers for administrative tasks. BernieCare, by contrast, would eliminate the private sector’s role in insurance provision. In fact, Sanders seeks to discard the current patchwork of government and private options: Medicare for the elderly, Medicaid for the poor, employer-provided insurance for the better-off and ACA policies for those who fall through the cracks.
Sanders’s legislation would instead place everyone, except beneficiaries of Veterans Affairs and the Indian Health Service, into one plan. Proposed benefits are generous, covering services ranging from doctor and hospital to mental health and substance abuse care. With the exception of some minor cost-sharing for prescriptions, the plan eschews traditional ways of discouraging services overconsumption, such as deductibles and coinsurance.
But BernieCare faces at least two significant challenges: selling the legislation to voters and creating a program that fairly and efficiently distributes medical services.
The history of health-care politics, especially the two most significant legislative rewrites — Medicare and the ACA — illustrate these challenges and reveal why BernieCare is unlikely to succeed. Medicare garnered much broader political support than the ACA because voters and politicians believed it would complement, rather than undermine, existing health-care arrangements. By contrast, ACA opponents have spent almost 10 years arguing that the program destabilizes the entire health insurance system — a weapon that will be wielded even more effectively against BernieCare. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Long Lost Nordic Village Mysteriously Abandoned in the Middle Ages Rediscovered
- Holocaust Memorial Rebuilt Outside Far-Right Politician's House By German Activists
- Ratko Mladic Is Convicted in 1990s Slaughter of Bosnian Muslims
- Most Everything You Learned About Thanksgiving Is Wrong
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race