Now Tanzania Seeks German Reparations Over Colonial ActsBreaking News
tags: colonialism, Germany, Tanzania
Tanzania's government is considering legal action to force former colonizer Germany to pay reparations for alleged atrocities committed over a century ago, the country's defense minister said Wednesday.
The government will seek compensation over tens of thousands of people who allegedly were starved, tortured and killed by German forces while trying to put down rebellious tribes, minister Hussein Mwinyi told lawmakers.
Germany ruled Tanzania, then known as Tanganyika, from 1890 to 1919.
There was no immediate response from the German embassy in Tanzania.
comments powered by Disqus
- The New York Times journalist who secretly led the charge against liberal media bias
- A history lesson: Do tax cuts pay for themselves?
- As colleges investigate slavery ties, George Washington University joins in
- Before the Bus, Rosa Parks Was a Sexual Assault Investigator
- The Penn TA who said she calls on black women first won’t be teaching next semester
- Black South African scholars urged to correct white historians’ distortion
- At Columbia, Three Women, 30 Years and a Pattern of Harassment
- Pakistani Historian Mobarak Haidar says Muslims “have no religious basis to rule Jerusalem”
- AHA Announces Last-Minute Sessions Timed to News Events