Historian Allan Lichtman — who correctly predicted Trump’s election — chastises pollstersBreaking News
tags: election 2016, Allan Lichtman, Trump
Related Link Assuming History's a Good Guide, Trump's Going to Win By Allan Lichtman
The story of the 2016 election is one of a stunning defeat, not just for Hillary Clinton, but also for the pollsters, pundits and data-driven journalists who overwhelmingly predicted her victory.
But at least one scholar, Allan J. Lichtman, saw both coming. Dr. Lichtman, a historian at American University in Washington, is the co-creator of a historically based model that has correctly predicted the winner of the popular vote in the last eight presidential contests — and, back in September, predicted the supposedly unthinkable election of Donald J. Trump.
The model, developed in 1981 with the Russian mathematical geophysicist Vladimir Keilis-Borok and elaborated in the book “Predicting the Next President: The Keys to the White House 2016,” is simple on the surface. It disregards complex formulas in favor of 13 true-or-false statements measuring the underlying force that Dr. Lichtman, based on analyses of elections from 1860 through 1980, believes really matters: the strength of the incumbent party.
comments powered by Disqus
- Poland’s forgotten civil strife and the struggle for Jewish statehood
- Socialists were winning U.S. elections long before Bernie Sanders and AOC
- The House just passed a bill to create a women’s history museum. Only one congresswoman voted against it.
- For hundreds of years, enslaved people were bought and sold in America. Today most of the sites of this trade are forgotten.
- 2 New Books Examine the the History of Black Travel
- AHA Publishes 2020 Jobs Report
- Yuval Noah Harari's History of Everyone, Ever
- Historian Manisha Sinha Discussed Trump's Acquittal on 2 Episodes of Democracy Now
- Longtime University of Iowa Jeff Cox, 72, championed candidates and his kids
- "No Boy Scout": William Rust Publishes Article on CIA Operations Officer Lucien Conein