Originally published 04/14/2017
The professor’s last prediction came true (he predicted Trump’s election) .
Originally published 01/03/2017
Presidential historian Allan Lichtman says Obama’s worst legacy is the collapse of the Democratic Party (Interview)
“He has forgotten what the great iconic Democratic president Franklin Roosevelt always taught, and that is, you not only have to be an innovator of policy, have you to be a party-builder."
Originally published 11/14/2016
"This one is not based on a system; it's just my gut. They don't want Trump as president, because they can't control him. He's unpredictable.”
Originally published 11/10/2016
Discounting the pundits’ preoccupation with Trump, Lichtman says underlying forces can account for the GOP nominee's victory.
Originally published 10/28/2016
Historian Allan Lichtman who’s predicted 30 years of presidential elections correctly is doubling down on a Trump win
He would change his mind, he says, if polls show Gary Johnson can’t win 5 % or more of the vote.
Originally published 06/17/2013
Years after World War II ended I often visited Manhattan’s Washington Heights neighborhood, nicknamed the “Fourth Reich” because of its large number of Central European Jews who had escaped the Nazis, the Kissinger family among them. Whether they were eligible to vote or not, they overwhelmingly supported FDR, grateful for having been welcomed into the country. Nearby, a goodly number of them lived on the Upper West Side, all well-served by German-Jewish cultural and social societies and Aufbau, a literate, once-thriving German language Jewish newspaper.
Originally published 05/13/2013
Richard Breitman and Allan J. Lichtman
The MS St. Louis in Havana. Credit: Wiki Commons.Critics of Franklin Delano Roosevelt often use the ship the St. Louis as an emblem of FDR’s alleged indifference toward the Holocaust. In Hollywood’s version, now deeply engrained in American popular culture, the 937 German-Jewish passengers of the MS St. Louis undertook the “voyage of the damned.” The president could have saved them and did nothing. As a result, most of them perished.In our new book FDR and the Jews, we noted in passing that American officials did not order the Coast Guard to prevent the St. Louis from landing in the United States. Since our book appeared a few months ago our critics in the press -- and some surviving St. Louis passengers -- have complained about this particular statement.
- Congress Has a History of Legislating in Secrecy
- At James Madison’s home, slaves’ lives matter as much as the man who owned them
- Destroying Great Mosque of al-Nuri 'is Isis declaring defeat'
- At Watergate, Recalling a Burglary That Toppled a President
- Hidden Trove of Suspected Nazi Artifacts Found in Argentina
- Researcher: "Actually, Yes It Is a Discovery If You Find Something in an Archive That No One Knew Was There."
- The Trump team is obsessing over Thucydides, the ancient historian who wrote a seminal tract on war
- Historians defend scholar who studies Poland and Holocaust
- Max Boot Says "Donald Trump Is Proving Too Stupid to Be President"
- Historians called on to write books that impact the public