Netanyahu Draws Broad Criticism After Saying a Palestinian Inspired HolocaustBreaking News
tags: Holocaust, Israel, Palestine, Netanyahu
● Netanyahu, Husseini, and the Historians by Jeff Herf
Israeli historians and opposition politicians on Wednesday joined Palestinians in denouncing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel for saying it was a Palestinian, the grand mufti of Jerusalem, who gave Hitler the idea of annihilating European Jews during World War II.
Mr. Netanyahu said in a speech to the Zionist Congress on Tuesday night that “Hitler didn’t want to exterminate the Jews at the time, he wanted to expel the Jews,” according to a transcript provided by his office. The prime minister said that the mufti, Haj Amin al-Husseini, protested to Hitler that “they’ll all come here,” referring to Palestine.
“ ‘So what should I do with them?’ ” Mr. Netanyahu quoted Hitler as asking Mr. Husseini. “He said, ‘Burn them.’ ”
comments powered by Disqus
- FDR Tried to Pack the Supreme Court During the Depression. It Was a Disaster for Him.
- Are We Living at the "Hinge of History"?
- Ways of Remembering: A Racial Geography Tour of UT-Austin’s Campus
- The Libertarian Ideas That Wrecked the Fed
- AHA Statement on the Recent "White House Conference on American History”