‘Slave Trade’ video game altered after social media backlashBreaking News
tags: slavery, video games
An educational video game has been edited following a social media backlash over a scene depicting slaves being packed into a ship.
The creators of “Playing History: Slave Trade” removed a level Monday which featured black slave characters being dropped into a ship similar to the video game “Tetris.”
“Apologies to people who were offended by us using game mechanics to underline the point of how inhumane slavery was,” read a statement posted on the game’s page on Steam, an online store. “The goal was to enlighten and educate people — not to get sidetracked discussing a small 15-second part of the game.”
comments powered by Disqus
- Karen L. Cox says historians shouldn’t be afraid to embrace YouTube to reach millennials
- You Know Your History? These Podcasts Aren’t So Sure.
- Victor Davis Hanson says Trump Must "Retire as Twitter Champ”
- The Daily Mail is highlighting claims by a Cambridge don that teachers are helping to foster resentment by presenting history as the struggle of minority groups
- Historians Are Calling Out Trump Online Whenever He Misreads the Past