How early marketing campaigns for online gaming platforms suggested toxicity isn't a bug, it's a feature.
by Jonathon S. Jones
Poke around the game’s fictional South and you’ll find cross-burning Klansmen, whom you are free to kill.
SOURCE: Time Magazine
Here's what to know about the history of that ban.
An educational video game has been edited following a social media backlash over a scene depicting slaves being packed into a ship.
SOURCE: Harvard Gazette
Project uses Web participation, video games to digitize documents.
SOURCE: Fast Company & Inc
Trois-Rivieres history professor Laurent Turcot sees the potential for video games to introduce students and others to how people lived in the past.
by Dennis Scimeca
A new game proves that developers might want to be more careful with their Nazi-era imagery.
SOURCE: New York TImes
The game is provocatively titled "Shoot the Devils."
SOURCE: The Guardian
The new project is directed by Grand Theft Auto creative Navid Khonsari and voiced by Argo and Homeland cast members.
SOURCE: Philadelphia Inquirer
Jonathan Zimmerman is a Narberth resident and a professor of history at New York University. He is teaching a course at NYU's Abu Dhabi campus. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. ...In Washington, stricter regulation of video games has become a post-Sandy Hook cause du jour. Last week, Vice President Biden convened a high-profile meeting with video-game executives. Some have called for warning labels and other precautions.But we still don't know if playing video games makes users more likely to behave aggressively. Research on the subject is spotty and mixed, and millions of Americans clearly play violent games without becoming violent.For the most part, they also play them in a stationary position. So we shouldn't be surprised that video games are very strongly associated with obesity, especially among the young. In 2011, the World Health Organization named video games the single biggest cause of child obesity.Why would playing video games lead to more weight gain than, say, watching television? Nobody knows, although one recent study suggested an intriguing possibility: Video games make you hungry. Boys who played them were found to consume four times as many calories as they burned off....
- ‘If You Want to Experience Liberation, Black Women Must Be at the Table’
- A Century After a Race Massacre, Tulsa Finally Digs for Suspected Mass Graves
- Historians Will Likely Rank Trump as One of the Worst Presidents
- Black Lives Matter Movement Prods Bethlehem and Other Districts to Review How History is Taught
- During the Civil War, the Enslaved Were Given an Especially Odious Job. The Pay Went to Their Owners.
- Is Evangelical Support for Trump a Contradiction?
- Survival Of The Kindest: Can Our Better Nature Help Us Build A Better World?
- As Monuments Tumble, Are We ‘Erasing’ History? Historians Say No
- Historical Association Schools Teachers on White House History
- MIT Professor Tunney Lee, an Architect, Urban Planner, and Historian of Chinatown, Dies at 88