Posh Minneapolis suburb is subject of a Wikipedia war over its "sundown town" pastBreaking News
tags: Minneapolis, sundown town, Edina
Edina’s racist past is the focus of an “edit war” on Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia that’s become the world’s go-to research site.
Eight times last summer and autumn, a university student added information about the city’s history of racial exclusion to Edina’s Wikipedia page. And each time, the same anonymous Wikipedia reader/editor removed the information.
“Sometimes my edits were removed within hours of being put up,” said Amarin Young, a 21-year-old junior at the University of Illinois. “It’s still difficult to document the history of racial exclusion, even in online spaces that are celebrated as inherently liberatory.”
comments powered by Disqus
- 20 years since America’s shock over Clinton-Lewinsky affair, public discussions on sexual harassment are changing
- The Trump Presidency: Year One
- From presidential nominee to freshman senator? Romney would make history if he runs.
- From King George IV to President Trump, The Fat Men Who’ve Ruled The World
- Here’s How One Family Prepared for Nuclear War in 1954
- Steve Bannon says historian Walter Russell Mead was the inspiration for hanging Jackson’s picture in the Oval Office
- A historian is helping students register to vote
- Pension report shows that a historian continues to be the highest paid pensioner in New York State education system
- Ibram X. Kendi’s NYT op ed drew a strong response
- Andrew Roberts says Trump might even win a second term