Posh Minneapolis suburb is subject of a Wikipedia war over its "sundown town" pastBreaking News
tags: Minneapolis, sundown town, Edina
Edina’s racist past is the focus of an “edit war” on Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia that’s become the world’s go-to research site.
Eight times last summer and autumn, a university student added information about the city’s history of racial exclusion to Edina’s Wikipedia page. And each time, the same anonymous Wikipedia reader/editor removed the information.
“Sometimes my edits were removed within hours of being put up,” said Amarin Young, a 21-year-old junior at the University of Illinois. “It’s still difficult to document the history of racial exclusion, even in online spaces that are celebrated as inherently liberatory.”
comments powered by Disqus
- The 'America First Caucus' Is Backtracking, But Its Mistaken Ideas About 'Anglo-Saxon' History Still Have Scholars Concerned
- ‘Prejudice’ Exposed? Jane Austen’s Links to Slavery ‘Interrogated’
- 2021 Wolfson Prize Shortlist Announced
- The Chauvin Verdict: ‘The Terrain Going Forward Will Not Be the Same’
- 'The Making Of Biblical Womanhood' Tackles Contradictions In Religious Practice