Did Jeb Bush Wait Too Long to Run for President?Breaking News
tags: politics, 2016 election
A Smart Politics analysis finds that the 14 years between Jeb Bush's last electoral victory in 2002 and the presidential election of 2016 is the longest such gap recorded by any victorious presidential candidate in more than 150 years.
Note: The following analysis excludes the five men who never held elected office prior to becoming president (in post-Constitutional United States): George Washington, Zachary Taylor, Ulysses Grant, Herbert Hoover, and Dwight Eisenhower.
The last president who saw 14 years pass between his last electoral victory and winning the White House was none other than Abraham Lincoln.
Lincoln was elected to the U.S. House from Illinois in 1846 but served only one term and did not win another race until the White House in 1860.
Since then, only two winning presidential candidates had seen more than eight years pass since their last electoral victory:
● Richard Nixon in 1968 - 12 years after winning the vice-presidency on Eisenhower's ticket in 1956.
● Ronald Reagan in 1980 - 10 years after being reelected to a second term as Governor of California.
comments powered by Disqus
- Joe Biden is making a Supreme Court promise. Ronald Reagan did, too.
- Land Deed for Pioneering School Sheds Light on an Early American Anti-Slavery Effort
- Pathologizing Politics: Eugenics and Political Discourse in the Modern United States
- Behind Dover Publications’ eclectic 10,000-title catalog lies a remarkable story of 20th century innovation
- Could Never Bernie Make It a Contested Convention? Here's 4 Contested Conventions in Presidential Election History
- Historian Heidi Tworek Interviewed on the History Behind Coronavirus Racism
- Gordon Wood Reviews Mary Beth Norton's ‘1774’ for the Wall Street Journal
- Black Perspectives Reviews Black Banking and Women Financial Power Brokers
- A lost history, recovered: Faded records tell the story of school segregation in Virginia
- H.R. McMaster book `Battlegrounds’ coming out in April