Kent State reprimands historian who blasted academics who support IsraelHistorians in the News
tags: Middle East, Israel, Hamas, Gaza, Julio Pino
Kent State University has distanced itself from a professor who charged that academics who support Israel are responsible for the murder of 1,400 Palestinians who died during the recent conflict in Gaza. Julio Pino, an associate professor of history at Kent State, leveled the accusation in an open letter to HNN on August 2. Two days later the university publish this brief statement on the school website:
It has come to our attention that a Kent State University professor posted an online statement charging scholars with responsibility for civilian deaths in Gaza. We condemn the professor’s statement as reprehensible and irresponsible.
At Kent State, we value collegiality and mutual respect. Assailing the public with broad statements of culpability violates these principles.
In his open letter Professor Pino, who teaches Latin American history, charged that academic supporters of Israel are
directly responsible for the murder of over 1,400 Palestinian children, women and elderly civilians over the past month. This is not symbolic or even legally justified homicide on your part but actual, cold-blooded, calculated killing, for which you are culpable. Your names are scrawled on every bullet fired, bomb dropped, body buried and burnt forehead in Gaza. May your names become a curse word on the lips of every justice-loving person on earth, along with “Obama” and “Netanyahu”
comments powered by Disqus
- The Most Controversial Psych Study Is Repeated — Same Weird Result
- A new book explores the stunning revelation that Hemingway spied for the USSR
- A President’s Restless Corpse May Be on the Move Again in Tennessee
- How China and the U.S. might collide — or not
- Major Viking Age Archaeological Find Discovered in Denmark
- The New York Times celebrates biographer Richard Holmes
- Historians are in demand! (On cruise ships)
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85
- Gil Troy says Jews and Israelis are the victims of a “Hate Swarm”