Drew Gilpin Faust: Harvard president’s 2012 earnings surpassed $1 millionHistorians in the News
tags: Drew Gilpin Faust
Harvard University investment managers had another good year in 2012, while Harvard president Drew Gilpin Faust topped the $1 million mark in total compensation for the first time, the university disclosed Friday.
Harvard Management chief Jane Mendillo received $4.8 million that year, down from $5.3 million in 2011, while five of her managers received $4 million or more as the stock market continued its upward march, helping to boost the value of the endowment they manage....
Faust, who became president in 2007, earned just over $1 million in total compensation in 2012, including nearly $138,000 in nontaxable benefits for the value of her housing in Cambridge and other perks. That is up from $899,734 in calendar year 2011, a 16 percent rise. Separately, the Civil War historian also received another $250,000 in cash and stock for her service on the board of Staples Inc., the Framingham office supply chain.
Faust, 66, joins a growing group of private college presidents to surpass the $1 million mark as university leaders are increasingly paid like executives running large companies. Overall, at least 42 college leaders earned $1 million a year in 2011, according to a survey by the Chronicle of Higher Education, a development that colleges defend but has troubled watchdog groups worried about the rising cost of education.
comments powered by Disqus
- Do American Indians Celebrate the 4th of July?
- Trump Vows To Veto Defense Bill If It Removes Confederate Names From Military Bases
- Fourth of July: Beer’s Patriotic Connection to the Founding Fathers
- Calls for ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ to be Replaced With a New US National Anthem
- As Young People Drive Infection Spikes, College Faculty Members Fight For The Right To Teach Remotely
- The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican (Review)
- David Starkey Criticised over Slavery Comments
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing
- Did Rutgers Find The Perfect President For 2020? Meet Jonathan Holloway, Black Historian.
- In Search of King David’s Lost Empire