Putin reviving a Stalinist fitness program to whip Russians into shapeBreaking News
tags: Russia, Soviet Union, Joseph Stalin, Vladimir Putin
Vladimir Putin wants to improve the physical fitness of Russians of all ages, and to achieve that he has turned to the era of brutal dictator Joseph Stalin for inspiration.
On Monday, he announced that a Stalinist fitness program from the 1930s, called “Ready for Labor and Defense,” will be revived and funded by leftover cash from the Sochi Winter Olympics.
It hasn’t been revealed what the modern version of the program will consist of, but back in the U.S.S.R it required comrade citizens to enter competitions in sports like running, jumping, skiing, swimming, and, well, grenade throwing. Tests were set and those who passed were given gold and silver badges that were worn with pride on proletarian chests.
The program, known by the Russian initials GTO, was originally launched to raise the fitness of the population, so that citizens were ready to work and fight for the Soviet Union. Citizens of all ages took part until GTO died out during the Soviet collapse....
comments powered by Disqus
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017
- A team of science historians are attempting to re-create recipes from sixteenth-century alchemy texts
- David Kennedy recalls his dinners with President Obama
- When Kellie Jones Wanted To Study Black Art History, The Field Didn’t Exist. So She Created It Herself.
- Michael Honey: The 60’s activist turned historian