Rutgers historian Rudy Bell leads protest against Condoleezza Rice speaking at commencementtags: Rutgers University, Bush administration, Condoleezza Rice
...Dr. [Rudy] Bell is a professor of history at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ who helped organize a petition and faculty protest against the school’s decision to offer their commencement keynote address to former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
“Rice we feel is a particularly inappropriate choice because the controversy about the degree to which she actively is involved in interrogation techniques which were declared by international courts to amount to torture. She brings no positive merit,” Bell said, explaining why he’s against Rice speaking.
He went on to state that the faculty is not against bringing Secretary Rice to Rutgers but against offering her the commencement address....
comments powered by Disqus
- A grandmother’s trove of Civil War photos goes to Library of Congress
- Tribes See Name on Oregon Maps as Being Out of Bounds
- Holy Haystacks! Researchers Have Officially Discovered A New Monet
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- OAH denounces anti-gay legislation signed by Indiana governor
- Emory’s Leslie Harris says we should remember the racist roots of American colleges as we think about what went wrong at OU and other schools
- Stanford historian looks to the U.S. Postal Service to map the boom and bust of 19th-century American West
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library