Rutgers historian Rudy Bell leads protest against Condoleezza Rice speaking at commencementHistorians in the News
tags: Rutgers University, Bush administration, Condoleezza Rice
...Dr. [Rudy] Bell is a professor of history at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ who helped organize a petition and faculty protest against the school’s decision to offer their commencement keynote address to former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
“Rice we feel is a particularly inappropriate choice because the controversy about the degree to which she actively is involved in interrogation techniques which were declared by international courts to amount to torture. She brings no positive merit,” Bell said, explaining why he’s against Rice speaking.
He went on to state that the faculty is not against bringing Secretary Rice to Rutgers but against offering her the commencement address....
comments powered by Disqus
- How Will Obama Be Graded By History?
- The controversy behind the painting that will hang at Trump’s inaugural luncheon
- A nation of dissent: The most famous inaugural protests in U.S. history
- German Rightwing Populist's Holocaust Remarks Denounced
- Arizona scuttles bill that took aim at whiteness studies
- Obama’s Legacy as a Historian
- Jack Rakove tells League of Women Voters Electoral College needs to be abolished
- Juan Cole says Chelsea Manning’s leaks contributed to the revolution in Tunisia
- Bacevich and Mearsheimer on Obama’s Legacy
- Where Historians Work: An Interactive Database of History PhD Career Outcomes