Saudi group destroys 3,000 year old ancient burial groundBreaking News
tags: archaeology, Saudi Arabia, vandalism
Saudi Arabia's religious authorities have angered both locals and archeologists alike after they removed gravestones from a 3,000-year-old burial site in the city of al-Baha.
According to a report in the Al-Hayat newspaper on Monday, the Zinat graveyard was levelled by the Commission of the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice.
Although in Islam it is discouraged to build tombs around graves, the ancient site was seen as an integral part of cultural heritage by many of the locals.
The gravestones had inscriptions in ancient Arabic, which shows that the ancient inhabitants of the region were literate....
comments powered by Disqus
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors
- Black Death maps reveal how the plague devastated medieval Britain
- Bernie Sanders picks Cornel West to help write Democratic platform
- Trump is empowering anti-Semites, Holocaust deniers, and White nationalists
- The First Time a Plane Was Bombed