German-Armenian Historian Warns ‘Important Genocide Archival Material Is Being Destroyed in Aleppo’Historians in the News
tags: Germany, genocide, Armenian genocide, Armenia, Aleppo
German historian Elke Hartmann’s mother is Armenian. Elke has studied history and Middle Eastern/Islamic Studies in Berlin specializing in modern Ottoman history. Her MA thesis examined the German military mission to the Ottoman Empire during the reign of Abdulhamid II, while her PhD. dissertation analyzes conscription in the late Ottoman Empire in the context of modern state and nation building. In 2010, with her husband historian Vahé Tachjian, she established the Houshamadyan website.
From April to July she will be a visiting instructor at the Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg, Germany teaching the subject of “Christian minorities in the Ottoman Empire”.
Why did you choose Ottoman studies as your specialization?
When I started to study history I observed that Ottoman history wasn’t included in the general study European history. The history of the Ottoman Empire should be a component of European history at the academic level. Later, when I got involved in Middle Eastern studies, I noticed that Armenians were absent from Ottoman studies. I felt I needed to focus on Ottoman studies in order to better understand European history and the history of Armenians....
comments powered by Disqus
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich