German-Armenian Historian Warns ‘Important Genocide Archival Material Is Being Destroyed in Aleppo’Historians in the News
tags: Germany, genocide, Armenian genocide, Armenia, Aleppo
German historian Elke Hartmann’s mother is Armenian. Elke has studied history and Middle Eastern/Islamic Studies in Berlin specializing in modern Ottoman history. Her MA thesis examined the German military mission to the Ottoman Empire during the reign of Abdulhamid II, while her PhD. dissertation analyzes conscription in the late Ottoman Empire in the context of modern state and nation building. In 2010, with her husband historian Vahé Tachjian, she established the Houshamadyan website.
From April to July she will be a visiting instructor at the Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg, Germany teaching the subject of “Christian minorities in the Ottoman Empire”.
Why did you choose Ottoman studies as your specialization?
When I started to study history I observed that Ottoman history wasn’t included in the general study European history. The history of the Ottoman Empire should be a component of European history at the academic level. Later, when I got involved in Middle Eastern studies, I noticed that Armenians were absent from Ottoman studies. I felt I needed to focus on Ottoman studies in order to better understand European history and the history of Armenians....
comments powered by Disqus
- Should a slave-era song be used as a sports UK soccer chant?
- Black Georgetown Employee Found Out the School Sold His Great-Great-Great Grandmother
- E.U. Is Turning 60 and Searching for Something to Celebrate
- The Most Controversial Psych Study Is Repeated — Same Weird Result
- A new book explores the stunning revelation that Hemingway spied for the USSR
- Christopher Lasch, the late historian/social commentator, is suddenly everywhere
- Harvard art historian’s interest in black history has roots in her grandfather’s question in high school
- Human History ‘Will End When Men Become Gods’
- Yale’s Timothy Snyder explains to Bill Maher how Trump resembles 1930s fascists — and makes the Russia connection
- China Bars Historian at Australian University From Leaving, Lawyer Says