Shelby Cobra Coupe Becomes the First Federally Registered Historic CarBreaking News
tags: historic preservation, cars, Shelby Cobra, classic cars
A 1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe has become the first vehicle recorded under a federal program to identify and preserve important engineering marvels, the Historic Vehicle Association annouced last month.
The car, which is part of the collection at the Simeon Foundation Automotive Museum in Philadelphia, was the first of six such cars built by Shelby American and the only one built in its entirety at Carroll Shelby’s shop in Venice, Calif. Chassis CSX2287, the prototype, came in fourth over all – behind three Ferraris – at the 1964 Sebring 12 Hour race, and although it led the 24 Hours of Le Mans for 10 hours that year, it was disqualified for an illegal jump start.
Up until that time, European cars dominated Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile World Sports Car Championship races. But another of the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupes – CSX2299, the second one built – won the International Championship for GT Manufacturers in 1965. Ferrari had held that distinction the previous three seasons....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity