Thousands re-enact Napoleonic Battle of the Nationstags: anniversaries, historical reenactment
Some 6,000 history buffs in period military costume are re-enacting one of Germany's bloodiest battles, the Battle of the Nations.
French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte was defeated near Leipzig in October 1813 by forces from Russia, Austria, Prussia and Sweden.
Tens of thousands of spectators are attending the reconstruction, described as a "reconciliation".
However, Church leaders object to the battle being turned into a game.
They see Sunday's event as tantamount to glorifying the carnage of war, the BBC's Damien McGuinness reports....
comments powered by Disqus
- Lewinsky mistreated by authorities in investigation of Clinton, report says
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed