History Is On Sale at a Venerable Paris HotelBreaking News
tags: New York Times
For those inspired by hotel design, there is now a chance to take some of it home, legally. The 100-year-old Hotel Plaza Athénée Paris will hold its first auction of vintage and not-so-old collectibles as it prepares to close for a seven-month renovation.
About 1,000 items primarily from the lobby, restaurant and bar will be auctioned live on Oct. 7 and 8. Auction items range from plates found in the hotel’s Alain Ducasse restaurant to sculptures including a bust of Marie-Antoinette, oversize Louis XVI-style vases, Murano glass chandeliers, leather and mahogany liquor cabinets, and even the marble-topped oak concierge desk....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian James Harris says Russian archives show we’ve misunderstood Stalin
- The Invisible Labor of Women’s Studies
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook