Rare Buddhist manuscript Lotus Sutra releasedtags: Guardian (UK), books, India, Buddhism, Pakistan, Lotus Sutra
A rare Buddhist manuscript, discovered by cattle grazers in 1931, has been released in book form in India.
The Lotus Sutra was found in Gilgit region, now in Pakistan.
The document, which dates back to 5th century, is perhaps the only Buddhist manuscript discovered in India.
Believed to be one of the most revered Buddhist scriptures, it represents the discourse delivered by Buddha towards the end of his life.
The Gilgit Lotus Sutra is kept at the National Archives of India in the capital, Delhi....
comments powered by Disqus
- Archaeologists Take Wrong Turn, Find World’s Oldest Stone Tools
- Evidence of Pre-Columbus Trade Found in Alaska House
- Rwanda Pullout Driven by Clinton White House, U.N. Equivocation
- Centuries of Italian History Are Unearthed in Quest to Fix Toilet
- The U.S. Discovery of Israel's Secret Nuclear Project