SOURCE: The New Yorker
Ben Carson, Donald Trump, and the Misuse of American History
by Jelani Cobb
The habitual tendency to excise the most tragic elements of history creates a void in our collective understanding of what has happened in the past and, therefore, our understanding of the potential for tragedy in the present.
SOURCE: The Hill
Carson refers to slaves as 'immigrants' in talk to HUD employees
“That’s what America is about. A land of dreams and opportunity,” Carson said. “There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less.”
SOURCE: The Washington Post
Donald Trump says he wants to fix cities. Ben Carson will make them worse.
by Thomas J. Sugrue
Carson's lack of experience with urban policy, his bromides about socialist planning, his indifference to fair housing and his calls for individual boot-strapping don’t bode well for the future of metropolitan America.
SOURCE: Economic Policy Institute
What Ben Carson should learn about housing segregation
by Richard Rothstein
Mr. Carson has expressed opposition to the Obama administration’s new HUD requirement that cities and suburbs develop plans to end their segregation or face possible loss of federal funds. Here are some examples of facts he should know.
Thomas Jefferson Wrote What? Carson’s Constitutional Misstep
Carson recently attributed the writing of the U.S. Constitution to Thomas Jefferson, who was a major figure in early American history but was absent from the Constitutional Convention.
What Grade Does Ben Carson Get in Civics?
by Ray Raphael
Why this historian gives him both an A and a D.
Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship
Carson's campaign on Friday conceded that a central point in his inspirational personal story did not occur as he previously described. West Point has no record of Carson applying, much less being extended admission.
SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
Ben Carson States, Wrongly, That Founding Fathers ‘Had No Elected Office Experience’
Actually, as Gordon Wood pointed out, many of the delegates had been elected to colonial assemblies. One had been elected governor.
Ben Carson: Egyptian Pyramids Built For Grain Storage, Not By Aliens Or As Tombs
“…you know, it doesn’t require an alien being when God is with you.”
SOURCE: Think Progress
Carson: Women Who Have Abortions Are Like Slaveowners
"During slavery, a lot of the slaveowners thought that they had the right to do whatever they wanted to that slave."
The Dangerous Nonsense Ben Carson Is Spreading About Muslims
by Brian A. Catlos
He claims Muslims reserve the right to lie. It’s not true.
Ben Carson’s claim about gun control and the Holocaust is flat wrong
by Alan E. Steinweis
The Republican presidential candidate’s statements about weapons and Germany trivialize history.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
Ben Carson flunks middle school history
If only Anne Frank had a gun.
Ben Carson: 'Hitler' could happen here
At a campaign event in New Hampshire, Carson noted that many people believe a situation like what took place in Germany in the 1930's and 1940's could never happen in America.
Ben Carson Would Fail U.S. History
by Denise A. Spellberg
The idea of a Muslim president was first debated 227 years ago
What Does Ben Carson's Popularity Say About GOP Voters?
by Robert Brent Toplin
It's assumed by many that they're racists (which would account for the heated demonization of Barack Obama). But maybe the opposition to Obama is just political gamesmanship.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of