Originally published 02/14/2018
Paul S. Ropp
We're headed down as we withdraw from the world and China's going up as it embraces a global leadership role.
Originally published 05/22/2017
Though he never traveled outside the US, Lincoln embraced an international perspective, celebrating the spread of freedom in Europe.
Originally published 01/23/2017
Those same words galvanized a mass populist movement against U.S. entry into the war in Europe, even as the German army rolled through France and Belgium in the spring of 1940.
Originally published 07/25/2016
Trump says he’ll put America First, which of course carries echoes of the old isolationist and anti-Semitic movement—which Trump has apparently never even heard of.
Originally published 11/12/2013
Should Vilnius preserve its severe Soviet-era statues?
Originally published 02/21/2017
A Dutch television program aired a satirical video with a voice-over pretending to be Donald Trump. Soon similar videos were being produced by late-night shows across Europe. The whole world is invited to laugh at, and simultaneously disdain, the American President. America has become the laughingstock of the world.
- "People don’t realize": Trump and the historical facts he wants you to know
- Autism doctor Hans Asperger collaborated with the Nazis, new research shows
- University of Wisconsin, Madison to reckon with Ku Klux Klan history, but won't remove KKK member names from buildings
- School responds to assignment asking students to list 'positives' of slavery
- Lost in Battle, Found by Amateur Sleuths: An ‘Unknown’ Marine
- Is Sean Wilentz right that liberals believe in capitalism and progressives don’t?
- Mary Beard cut from US version of “Civilisations"
- Timothy Garton Ash: "We have six months to foil Brexit. And here’s how we can do it.”
- Why the Pulitzer Prize committee keeps ignoring women’s history
- No, we're not reliving the 1960s, says Harvard historian Arne Westad