Trump Will Never Surrender, Just Like Jefferson DavisRoundup
tags: Confederacy, Jefferson Davis, Donald Trump, 2020 Election
Jamie Stiehm writes on Washington politics and history. She may be reached at JamieStiehm.com. To read her weekly column and find out more about Creators Syndicate columnists and cartoonists, please visit creators.com.
WASHINGTON — Autumn sun lights the city after President Donald Trump lost to Joe Biden, except the civil war he started isn't over yet. The part Trump's playing in this tragic drama: the traitor, like despicable Jefferson Davis, who conducted the Civil War over slavery.
Trump's historic refusal to concede is the perfect parallel to the Confederate president, the Mississippi senator and enslaver who tore the country apart. He nearly succeeded but for prairie giant President Abraham Lincoln.
Like Trump, Davis never surrendered his white supremacist lost cause.
After the ravages of the Trump term, the American people must brace for a defiant last stand from the worst loser in the world, for history does rhyme all the time.
Even as the Civil War ended, after Richmond fell, Davis was captured in Georgia while fleeing by Union cavalry soldiers. He was dressed as a woman. By 1865, the Confederate states were weary, shattered by four years of war.
These were Trumpian red states in 2016, except Virginia. So, Davis still had his fingerprints on the American political map. The evil men do lives long after them, said Shakespeare.
Davis was imprisoned after the Civil War, a fate that may await the outgoing president. Too bad they can't be cellmates. They're soul mates.
comments powered by Disqus
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"