Ben Railton Joins "Keeping Democracy Alive" to Talk "Patriotic Education"Historians in the News
tags: history education, patriotism, teaching history, Donald Trump, podcasts, 1776 commission
He called our current history education in our schools “a form of child abuse.” Teaching critical thinking and the real history of America would be shut down in Trump’s “Patriotic Education.” The popular 1619 Project and Zinn’s Education Project which dare to teach uncomfortable truths would not be allowed. Instead “patriotism education” would be restricted top just the mythic and celebratory aspects. Our guest professor Ben Railton, whose upcoming book is called Of Thee I Sing, the Contested History of American Patriotism, explains that the choice is not blind allegiance or treason, but that to effectively understand and deal with where we are right now kids need to be able to think critically.Trump’s version requires passivity. That is not patriotism but blind nationalism. Railton is optimistic that this threat contains real opportunities.
comments powered by Disqus
- How to Make Jim Jordan Talk about January 6? Ask Jefferson Davis
- The Void That Critical Race Theory Was Created to Fill
- 95% of Capitol Sculptures Depict Men. Will That Change Soon?
- Southern Children Need to Hear the Truth about History
- Is a Group of New Deal Descendants Influencing the Biden Administration?