Kevin Kruse and Julian Zelizer: Howard Schultz could re-elect Donald TrumpRoundup
tags: Julian Zelizer, presidential history, Kevin Kruse, 2020 Election
Kevin Kruse and Julian Zelizer are history professors at Princeton University and the authors of the new book "Fault Lines: A History of the United States Since 1974."
Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is thinking about running for president on an independent ticket. Even though he has been a lifelong Democrat, Schultz now insists that the party has become too radical. During an interview with "60 Minutes," he said he is considering running a campaign as a "centrist independent, outside of the two-party system."
Although the announcement conjures instant jokes about a campaign promising a "vanilla latte in every cup," this potential run could have serious consequences for the future of the nation. By entering the race, Schultz could emerge as a savior that the struggling President Donald Trump and the GOP have been desperately waiting for. Drawing on his own personal fortune, he will have the resources to mount a serious campaign and to blast his message over the airwaves and on your cell phone.
And he could easily pose a serious problem to a Democratic candidate seeking to secure every vote possible in the crucial purple states.
The odds of Schultz winning the presidency are incredibly long. In our strong two-party system, third-party candidates don't really have a chance, especially now that our politics are more polarized than ever.
comments powered by Disqus
- 75 Years After World War II Theft, a Painting Returns to Italy
- U.S. Ship Sunk in World War II by German Sub Is Found Off Maine Coast
- The Woman Who Discovered the Cause of Global Warming Was Long Overlooked. Her Story Is a Reminder to Champion All Women Leading on Climate
- Iran Confrontation With U.K. Reflects History of Bad Blood
- The deadly race riot ‘aided and abetted’ by The Washington Post a century ago
- Tom Engelhardt Writes Personal and Historical Essay: Turning 75 in the Age of Trump
- Historian Drew Gilpin Faust Pens Personal and Historical Essay: "Race, History, and Memories of a Virginia Girlhood"
- WBUR Is Belatedly Giving Credit to a Female Historian for a Segment
- Behind the men on the moon, there were thousands of women
- Professor Rebecca Gordon Pens Essay Revealing Her Abortion and Examines Ongoing History of Roe v. Wade