Originally published 11/27/2013
"Every president has not only lied at some time, but needs to lie to be effective."
Originally published 04/25/2013
With the five living presidents meeting Thursday in Texas, we asked presidential historian Michael Beschloss to give us a sense of these presidential gatherings. Beschloss, author of nine books and contributor to the PBS NewsHour and NBC News, had only to look at his Twitter feed, which features images such as this, from the opening of the George H.W. Bush library in 1997....
Originally published 03/28/2013
The following is excerpted from The American President by Kathryn Moore, published by Barnes & Noble Books in 2013 (678 pages, $19.95). It covers the life of Barack H. Obama and his presidency through his election to a second term in 2012. For more information, go to: TheAmericanPresident.US. President Barack Obama on December 6, 2012. Credit: Wiki Commons.Table of Contents•Childhood •Hawaii •College •Community Organizing in Chicago •Africa •Harvard •Marriage •Launch of Political Career •State Politics •Senator •Campaign for the Presidency
Originally published 03/06/2018
A German film about the Hungarian revolt of 1956 has lessons for us today about the importance of defending democracy from a small far right minority who only see black and white.
- The NFL Told Teams to Stand During the National Anthem in the 1960s
- When the CIA Infiltrated a Presidential Campaign
- How the Mueller Investigation Could Play Out for Trump
- Steve Bannon: Martin Luther King Would Be Proud of Donald Trump
- Conservatives are pressing Trump to demand North Korea return the USS Pueblo
- Heather Cox Richardson says the crisis of the Trump administration has begun
- Historian: Native Americans deserve to be remembered as Southerners, too
- We’re whitewashing the history of our founding, says Leslie Harris
- Historians Debate Which President Leonardo DiCaprio Should Play
- Chapel Hill’s Jay M. Smith says school administrators are scared of academic freedom