Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From BuildingBreaking News
tags: Confederate flag, Confederate Memorials
Middle Tennessee State University’s president, Sidney A. McPhee, is recommending the renaming of Forrest Hall, which honors the Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest, reports The Tennessean.
The move to rename the building, which houses the campus’s ROTC program, began last year, when Mr. McPhee convened a task force to examine the name following a church massacre in Charleston, S.C., in which nine black people were shot to death by a white supremacist. Critics of the name have cited Forrest’s early leadership of the Ku Klux Klan, while supporters have said the general distanced himself from the Klan before he died, in 1877.
“It is clear that there are many wide-ranging and contradicting views about the life and legacy of Confederate Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest,” Mr. McPhee said in a news release, quoted by the newspaper. “I do not feel it is my role to discern the appropriateness or relevance of his actions prior, during, or after the Civil War. It is appropriate, however, for me to assess whether the decision made in the middle of the 20th century to name the building for General Forrest remains in our best interest in the second decade of the 21st century.”
comments powered by Disqus
- A 1911 Report Set America On a Path of Screening Out ‘Undesirable’ Immigrants
- Think it’s strange that immigrants are in the army?
- The story of Donald Trump’s grandfather, who came to the U.S. as an unaccompanied minor
- At Summit Meetings, Kremlin Often Tried to Steamroller U.S. Presidents
- How A Tariff Loving Utah Senator Became A Cautionary Tale About Protectionism
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency
- Ridley Scott to Adapt Israeli Author's "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" Into a Movie