Originally published 03/19/2015
He's been caught making up history, but evangelicals are sticking by him, including Wallbuilders.
Originally published 03/16/2015
Kevin M. Kruse
America may be a nation of believers, but when it comes to this country’s identity as a “Christian nation,” our beliefs are all over the map.
Originally published 03/14/2015
Fifty-seven percent of Republicans polled in national survey back establishing Christianity as the “national religion” of the United States.
Originally published 02/16/2015
We are not a Christian nation: Ronald Reagan, John F. Kennedy and the eternal lie of the “city upon a hill”
John Winthrop's "city upon a hill" dominates presidential rhetoric and our self-understanding. Here's the problem
Originally published 05/28/2014
How Do We Recognize a "Christian Nation"?
Originally published 02/18/2008
Carol V. Hamilton
Like Franklin, Jefferson rejected Calvinism.
Originally published 09/30/2007
How do they demonstrate that America was founded as a Christian nation? By selectively choosing texts from the writings of the Founders.
Originally published 12/19/2004
"Religion played very little role in the American Revolution and it played very little role in the making of the Constitution. That's largely because the Founding Fathers were on the whole deists who had a very abstract conception of God."
- Did Squanto meet Pocahontas in London?
- Thanksgiving: Early Colonists Ate Turkey... But Also Horses, Rats And Snakes, Archaeologists Say
- Sources: McMaster Mocked Trump’s Intelligence at a Private Dinner
- The JFK assassination files lead back to Seattle
- Princeton investigates its connection to slavery at a two-day symposium
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race
- Heather Ann Thompson says what went on at Attica is worse than we thought
- Princeton’s Jan T. Gross warns that Poland’s showing signs of turning decisively in a fascist direction