Originally published 07/03/2016
On Friday, exactly 100 years after the opening day of the Battle of the Somme, everyone remembered the men who got on and did it, without stopping to question their orders.
Originally published 07/29/2014
Jay Winter has spent his adult life trying to figure out the war that didn't end all wars but opened the bloody gates of 20th century industrial slaughter.
Originally published 07/07/2014
"Essentially it’s a rather simple idea: seizing and keeping the initiative is crucial in a war."
Originally published 04/10/2014
More than 150 files are being made available in the digitised release.
- This New York Times ‘Hitler’ book review sure reads like a thinly veiled Trump comparison
- US owes blacks reparations over slavery: UN experts
- Mali Islamist jailed for nine years for Timbuktu shrine attacks
- Poland wrestles with its past — and present
- Historian EP Thompson denounced Communist party chiefs, files show
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017
- David Kennedy recalls his dinners with President Obama