Originally published 07/03/2016
On Friday, exactly 100 years after the opening day of the Battle of the Somme, everyone remembered the men who got on and did it, without stopping to question their orders.
Originally published 07/29/2014
Jay Winter has spent his adult life trying to figure out the war that didn't end all wars but opened the bloody gates of 20th century industrial slaughter.
Originally published 07/07/2014
"Essentially it’s a rather simple idea: seizing and keeping the initiative is crucial in a war."
Originally published 04/10/2014
More than 150 files are being made available in the digitised release.
- Pittsburgh native David McCullough's next book will focus on generations of Northwest pioneers
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton