Originally published 08/05/2016
"After Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fists in silent protest, sports legend Brent Musburger wrote a hateful screed comparing them to Nazis. It’s time for him to say ‘sorry.’ "
Originally published 06/17/2016
Fifty years ago this Thursday, a pivotal speech in Greenwood, Mississippi radically changed the direction of the global civil rights movement forever – when Trinidadian immigrant Stokely Carmichael popularized the phrase “Black Power.”
Originally published 03/06/2015
Only a few miles away from where the legendary march began, a new phase of civil-rights activism gathered momentum.
Originally published 12/30/2013
New biography of Darcus Howe claims struggle is ignored because it does not fit idea of Britain as 'utopia of fair play'.
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award