Originally published 08/05/2016
"After Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fists in silent protest, sports legend Brent Musburger wrote a hateful screed comparing them to Nazis. It’s time for him to say ‘sorry.’ "
Originally published 06/17/2016
Fifty years ago this Thursday, a pivotal speech in Greenwood, Mississippi radically changed the direction of the global civil rights movement forever – when Trinidadian immigrant Stokely Carmichael popularized the phrase “Black Power.”
Originally published 03/06/2015
Only a few miles away from where the legendary march began, a new phase of civil-rights activism gathered momentum.
Originally published 12/30/2013
New biography of Darcus Howe claims struggle is ignored because it does not fit idea of Britain as 'utopia of fair play'.
- JFK's diary reveals fascination with Hitler, compared to 'legend'
- Secret South Korean Nuclear Weapons Program Created Anxiety in Washington in Mid-1970s
- The President Is Under FBI Investigation. Is This Normal?
- President Trump Praised Both Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay
- Nativism, Violence, and the Origins of the Paranoid Style
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85
- Gil Troy says Jews and Israelis are the victims of a “Hate Swarm”
- Eric Foner interviews Matt Karp about his new book on slaveholders
- Are historians ignoring the history of originalism?