Originally published 10/16/2013
Columbus's discoveries pried loose European curiosity from the vise put in place by the medieval church.
Originally published 10/14/2013
Though he sailed in 1492, Christopher Columbus was not widely known among Americans until the mid-1700s.
Originally published 10/11/2013
Columbus may have left a contentious legacy, but there's no denying his voyages expanded the boundaries of European knowledge.
- How the Vikings Saved Europe and Got a Terrible Reputation
- England's King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
- 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard charged
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead
- 2 of 21 MacArthur Fellows for 2014 are historians
- Ken Burns electrifies Jon Stewart show