Originally published 10/16/2015
An oral history just released shows that cryptologists working for the Army knew they were breaking the law when they conducted secret electronic surveillance.
Originally published 03/25/2014
Catherine Crump and Matthew Harwood
Big Data and the Internet of Things means the surveillance of everything.
Originally published 12/16/2013
A blast from the past, as a New York Times letter to the editor from 1970 on surveillance resonates remarkably well today.
Originally published 10/24/2013
Ritika Singh and Benjamin Wittes
James Madison went back and forth over how security should inflect the powers we invest in government.
Originally published 09/27/2013
...along with Muhammad Ali, Martin Luther King, and a Washington Post humorist.
Originally published 09/05/2013
The Ottoman ruler's body is buried in Istanbul, but his heart is (reputedly) buried in Hungary
Originally published 01/19/2016
Mistaken for federal varmints!
Originally published 10/31/2013
Ira Chernus's MythicAmerica
The narrative that critics rely on now only reinforces the administration's own story.
- Marine Corps investigating photo of iconic flag-raising on Iwo Jima
- Scholars Blast New Study Tracing Ashkenazi Jews to Khazars of Ancient Turkey
- Legendary Explorer’s Long-Lost Ship May Have Been Found Off Rhode Island
- More Doubts, Opposition To Sale Of Unique, Hartford Collection Of Political History
- How the Curse of Sykes-Picot Still Haunts the Middle East
- The Historian Whitewashing Ukraine’s Past
- Andrew Roberts wins $250,000 prize from the conservative Bradley Foundation
- Daniel Aaron, Critic and Historian Who Pioneered American Studies, Dies at 103
- Liz Covart's amazingly popular podcast helps her audience understand early American history
- Justus Rosenberg is still teaching at age 95