Originally published 03/25/2014
Big Data and the Internet of Things means the surveillance of everything.
Originally published 12/16/2013
A blast from the past, as a New York Times letter to the editor from 1970 on surveillance resonates remarkably well today.
Originally published 10/24/2013
James Madison went back and forth over how security should inflect the powers we invest in government.
Originally published 09/27/2013
...along with Muhammad Ali, Martin Luther King, and a Washington Post humorist.
Originally published 09/05/2013
The Ottoman ruler's body is buried in Istanbul, but his heart is (reputedly) buried in Hungary
Originally published 10/31/2013
The narrative that critics rely on now only reinforces the administration's own story.
- ‘Bite-sized’ history textbooks used in the UK accused of ‘dumbing down’ the subject: should we be worried?
- Tut’s beard glued back on like a bad craft project
- Smithsonian working to finalize deal for new site in London
- The voices of Auschwitz
- What countries teach children about the Holocaust varies hugely
- From his perch in Saudi Arabia, Princeton’s Mark Cohen says Jews and Muslims should remember they used to get along
- Duke honors historian John Hope Franklin with year-long series of events
- What New Left History Gave Us
- Marcus Borg, Liberal Christian Scholar, Dies at 72
- Richard Hofstadter’s insights into the "paranoid style in American politics” lauded in the NYT