Originally published 10/16/2015
An oral history just released shows that cryptologists working for the Army knew they were breaking the law when they conducted secret electronic surveillance.
Originally published 03/25/2014
Catherine Crump and Matthew Harwood
Big Data and the Internet of Things means the surveillance of everything.
Originally published 12/16/2013
A blast from the past, as a New York Times letter to the editor from 1970 on surveillance resonates remarkably well today.
Originally published 10/24/2013
Ritika Singh and Benjamin Wittes
James Madison went back and forth over how security should inflect the powers we invest in government.
Originally published 09/27/2013
...along with Muhammad Ali, Martin Luther King, and a Washington Post humorist.
Originally published 09/05/2013
The Ottoman ruler's body is buried in Istanbul, but his heart is (reputedly) buried in Hungary
Originally published 01/19/2016
Mistaken for federal varmints!
Originally published 10/31/2013
Ira Chernus's MythicAmerica
The narrative that critics rely on now only reinforces the administration's own story.
- Sinclair Lewis Predicted Trump—And Us
- Harvesting Government History, One Web Page at a Time
- 'Arbeit Macht Frei’ Gate Thought to Be Stolen From Dachau Is Found
- Behind the 1947 Law That Could Block Donald Trump’s Secretary of Defense Pick
- Why Trump Would Almost Certainly Be Violating the Constitution If He Continues to Own His Businesses
- Novelist says History classes are our best hope for teaching Americans to question fake news and Donald Trump
- National Book Award winner Ibram X. Kendi is youngest in 30 years in the non-fiction category
- Historian Volker Ullrich’s book on the rise of Hitler is spookily relevant
- People are still talking about historian Mark Lilla’s NYT op ed 2 weeks after it was published
- Rick Perlstein says Trump’s election confirms a paranoid trend in the GOP