SOURCE: Washington Post
Congress had the final say on the design for the slain president’s monument. The competition was intense.
It will include a new visitor center built below the memorial in a spectacular cavernous space visitors never see.
The Lincoln Memorial will undergo some of its most extensive renovations to date, including efforts to wash away dirt and debris, repair damage sustained during a 2011 earthquake, and build a substantial space for educational programs under the memorial.
SOURCE: National Journal
In honor of Abraham Lincoln's birthday, we take a look at the monument-turned-landmark that was built for him.
SOURCE: Huffington Post
The Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. was vandalized overnight.According to NBCWashington, green paint was splattered inside the chamber of the memorial, on Lincoln and on the floor around it.The monument will be closed while National Park Service crews clean up the mess, The Associated Press reported.There's no word yet on who desecrated the monument or what their motive was for doing so....
- Carl Reiner’s Life Should Remind Us: If You Like Laughing, Thank FDR And The New Deal
- A Teacher Held a Famous Racism Exercise in 1968. She’s Still at It.
- A Brief History of The Word ‘Redskin’ And How It Became a Source of Controversy
- Just How Little U.S. Students Learn About African American History — And Five Steps to Start to Change That
- Calling Racism A ‘Leftist Lie,’ White Vandals Target California Black Lives Matter Slogan
- When American Politics Turned Toxic (Review)
- Unions Are Essential for Eliminating Racism
- This Maine Governor Never Publicly Embraced the Klan, But He Never Disavowed its Support
- How a Lincoln-Douglass Debate Led to Historic Discovery
- Racist, Brutal Past or Hispanic History? Latinos Clash over Spanish Colonial Statues