Originally published 08/14/2017
You never hard of him. You should. His name was Benjamin Lay and he pushed Quakers to adopt abolitionism.
Originally published 04/03/2017
The fortunes of our nation’s universities depended not only on slaveholders, but on their strange and sometime allies, conservative abolitionists.
Originally published 01/12/2017
Bonnie S. Anderson
Jew, atheist, woman, and foreigner, Ernestine Rose was written out of American history.
Originally published 11/28/2016
Linda Hirshman is working on a history of abolitionism.
Originally published 02/25/2013
Manisha Sinha is a professor of Afro-American studies and history at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is the author of “The Counterrevolution of Slavery: Politics and Ideology in Antebellum South Carolina” and the forthcoming “The Slave’s Cause: Abolition and the Origins of America’s Interracial Democracy.”On the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation, discussion over who freed the slaves, fueled by movies like “Lincoln,” have become commonplace. While historians have debated the relative roles of Abraham Lincoln and the slaves themselves in the coming of emancipation, few have paid attention to the abolitionists, the forgotten emancipationists in the story of black freedom.
Originally published 01/10/2013
Robert E. Wright
Credit: Flickr/Inheritance magazine.
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea