Originally published 08/27/2016
The nation was a beacon for the anti-slavery cause.
Originally published 09/28/2015
As Cuba opens, it's time to recognize our proxy role in Cuba's slave trade, and the Monroe Doctrine's real purpose
Originally published 09/25/2015
Sean Wilentz argues the document was fundamentally anti-slavery. But then there's the slave trade.
Originally published 06/30/2015
Andrew Kahn and Jamelle Bouie
Watch the slave ships plow the Atlantic in an ever increasing race from Africa to the Americas.
Originally published 09/08/2014
How the slave trade patterns of centuries ago are still shaping African marriages today
Originally published 06/21/2013
BUNCE ISLAND, Sierra Leone—Twelve American presidents owned slaves, eight while serving in office, and at least 25 presidents count slave owners among their ancestors. But new historical evidence shows that a direct ancestor of George W. and George H.W. Bush was part of a much more appalling group: Thomas Walker was a notorious slave trader active in the late 18th century along the coast of West Africa.Walker, George H.W. Bush's great-great-great grandfather, was the captain of, master of, or investor in at least 11 slaving voyages to West Africa between 1784 and 1792....
Originally published 08/12/2007
Sheldon M. Stern
"Readers must understand that this terrible traffic in millions of human beings had been ... a joint venture."
- South Atlantic Mystery Flash in September 1979 Raised Questions about Nuclear Test
- California Owes Reparations To Victims Of Forced Race & Intellectual-Based Sterilization, Study Finds
- All the times in U.S. history that members of the electoral college voted their own way
- The Harriet Tubman $20 Bill Could Make an Early Debut
- Report: Economists have documented for the first time the decline of the American Dream
- Economists are attacking historians’ recent works on slavery
- Salon suggests Paul Gottfried, "a retired Jewish political historian,” was a founder of the Alt-Right
- National Women's History Museum Receives Grant to Rebuild Website with Advanced Content Capabilities
- UCLA history professor Gabriel Piterberg continues to come under attack after being accused of sexual harassment
- Bristol Brexit-backer Arron Banks ridiculed for arguing Roman history with Professor Mary Beard