Originally published 08/27/2016
The nation was a beacon for the anti-slavery cause.
Originally published 09/28/2015
As Cuba opens, it's time to recognize our proxy role in Cuba's slave trade, and the Monroe Doctrine's real purpose
Originally published 09/25/2015
Sean Wilentz argues the document was fundamentally anti-slavery. But then there's the slave trade.
Originally published 06/30/2015
Andrew Kahn and Jamelle Bouie
Watch the slave ships plow the Atlantic in an ever increasing race from Africa to the Americas.
Originally published 09/08/2014
How the slave trade patterns of centuries ago are still shaping African marriages today
Originally published 06/21/2013
BUNCE ISLAND, Sierra Leone—Twelve American presidents owned slaves, eight while serving in office, and at least 25 presidents count slave owners among their ancestors. But new historical evidence shows that a direct ancestor of George W. and George H.W. Bush was part of a much more appalling group: Thomas Walker was a notorious slave trader active in the late 18th century along the coast of West Africa.Walker, George H.W. Bush's great-great-great grandfather, was the captain of, master of, or investor in at least 11 slaving voyages to West Africa between 1784 and 1792....
Originally published 08/12/2007
Sheldon M. Stern
"Readers must understand that this terrible traffic in millions of human beings had been ... a joint venture."
- A President’s Restless Corpse May Be on the Move Again in Tennessee
- How China and the U.S. might collide — or not
- Major Viking Age Archaeological Find Discovered in Denmark
- JFK's diary reveals fascination with Hitler, compared to 'legend'
- Secret South Korean Nuclear Weapons Program Created Anxiety in Washington in Mid-1970s
- The New York Times celebrates biographer Richard Holmes
- Historians are in demand! (On cruise ships)
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85
- Gil Troy says Jews and Israelis are the victims of a “Hate Swarm”