SOURCE: The Baffler
by Eliya Smith
Local lore held that Columbus Dispatch cartoonist Billy Ireland's merciless taunting of the KKK forced it to leave town in the 1920s. Could newspaper cartoons really do that?
SOURCE: Columbus Dispatch
Rita Fuller-Yates earned a bachelor's degree in history and worked in corporate America and as a lifestyle columnist. But now she's a fierce avocate for memorializing one of Ohio's black leaders (and the history of African Americans in Columbus) on the grounds of the Statehouse.
SOURCE: Al Jazeera America
One tribe is bidding to go all the way home to the Midwest, some two centuries later.
by Emily Dufton
The big fear about legalization is that the pot business is ripe for corporate exploitation.
by John T. McNay
Senate Bill 5, derived mainly from the right-wing American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), was designed to crush public unions across the state.
by Kristie Miller and Robert H. McGinnis
"Does a dog hesitate for a marriage license?"
by John T. McNay
Labor's 2011 victory in Ohio offers a blueprint for the future.
President Obama, who has been criticized for favoring oil and gas development over land conservation in his first term, on Monday will designate five new national monuments, according to officials briefed on the decision.They are the First State National Monument in Delaware and Pennsylvania; the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument in New Mexico; the San Juan Islands National Monument in Washington State; Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument in Ohio and a monument commemorating Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railway in Maryland....
- Oklahoma ACLU Files Suit Against State Ban on Critical Race Theory
- St. Malo, Louisiana, Site of Earliest Filipino-American Settlement, Threatened by Climate Change
- Executive Privilege was out of Control Before Steve Bannon Claimed It
- Can Skeletons Have Racial Identity?
- Diver Discovers 900-Year-Old Sword Dating to the Crusades
- Leonard Moore: On Teaching Black History to White People
- How Cigarettes Became a Civil Rights Issue
- David Graeber and David Wengrow Have Given Human History a Rewrite
- Dems Worry Not Passing Biden Agenda Will Kill Them in the Midterms. Does Legislation Actually Matter?
- #HATM: "Historians at the Movies" Builds Community One Screening at a Time