Originally published 01/16/2014
Some analysts have accused the Kremlin of using the new textbooks to promote its ideological agenda and crack down on academic freedom.
Originally published 09/05/2013
Dimitri A. Simes
Sure, he's a repressive autocrat, but Putin hasn't killed millions of people.
Originally published 08/21/2013
Mark Lawrence Schrad, an assistant professor of political science at Villanova University, is the author of the forthcoming book “Vodka Politics: Alcohol, Autocracy, and the Secret History of the Russian State.”
Originally published 03/21/2013
MOSCOW — Grigory Chkhartishvili, the best-selling Russian writer known for his detective novels set in imperial Russia (written under the name Boris Akunin), and for his foray into opposition politics directed against Vladimir V. Putin announced that from now on he would devote himself to writing a multivolume history of Russia.“Some writers dream of becoming the new Tolstoy, others the new Chekhov,” he wrote on his blog on Wednesday. “It’s come time to acknowledge that I have always dreamt of becoming the new Karamzin,” he said, referring to Nikolai Karamzin, who wrote an early-19th-century 12-volume “History of the Russian State.” “I am no longer a crime novelist,” he declared....
Originally published 12/17/2013
Full article: http://hnn.us/article/49504
- Letters collection offers unique glimpse into ordeal of Australian aborigines
- War, More Than ISIS, Is Destroying Syria's Ancient Sites
- Pew Poll: Trust in government is at historic lows
- If "The Donald" Said It Happened, It Happened! And Don't You Forget It!
- Solved: the mystery of Britain’s Bronze Age mummies
- Anne Frank Faced Challenges Similar to Syrian Refugees, Richard Breitman Says
- Douglass North, Nobel Prize-winning economics historian, dies at 95
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project