Rosey Grier: The Lineman Who Tried to Save RFK—And Voted for Trump
tags: Sirhan Sirhan,Robert Kennedy,Rosey Grier
Rosey Grier, the lineman who wrestled the gun that killed Bobby Kennedy from Sirhan Sirhan, has spent his life wrestling stereotypes, proving that big men can cry—even do needlepoint—while black men can vote for Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.
One of the last names Robert F. Kennedy uttered fifty years ago was Rosey Grier’s. In his California primary victory speech moments before he was shot in June 1968, Kennedy said: “And to Rosey Grier, who said that he'd take care of anybody who didn't vote for me. In a kind way because that's what we are. Smile pretty.”
Indeed, this six-foot-five, 300-pound defensive tackle has charmed Americans with his grin and light touch for decades. But that night darkened suddenly, when Sirhan Sirhan started shooting while shouting “Kennedy, you son of a bitch.” Sirhan, a Palestinian with Jordanian citizenship, resented Kennedy’s support of Israel. Although it wasn’t reported that way in 1968, Kennedy’s assassination was one of the first Islamic extremist terrorist attacks against an American—and in America...
comments powered by Disqus
- How Alvin the Beagle Helped Usher in a Democratic Senate
- Political Scientist Angie Maxwell on Countering the 'Long Southern Strategy'
- Rewinding Jimi Hendrix’s National Anthem
- The Senate Has Used the Filibuster to Block Civil Rights Bills for Decades. That’s Another Reason for Dems to Ditch It
- Democrats are getting Chuck Grassleyed
- We’ve Had a White Supremacist Coup Before. History Buried It
- Historian Discusses The Politics That Shape U.S. History In Schools
- Keri Leigh Merritt on White Myths, Lost Causes & True History
- When White Extremism Seeps Into The Mainstream
- A TV Documentary Shows the Deep Roots of Right-Wing Conspiracy