"It Can't Happen Here, Can It?" Will Trump and Climate Deniers Purge American Science and Technology?tags: McCarthyism, J. Robert Oppenheimer, climate denial, misinformation, Trump administration, Paul N. Edwards
Paul Edwards is a professor in the School of Information and the Department of History at the University of Michigan (and the author of the excellent A Vast Machine: Computer Models, Climate Data, and the Politics of Global Warming). He wrote this disturbing column for Theconversation.com. The Trump transition team’s very specific and comprehensive questionnaire to the Department of Energy about its climate change researchers justifiably raised fears of a purge of climate scientist and scientists.
Edwards’ accurate but awkward phrase, “ideology-driven science,” denotes not a state promoting one field of research over another (e.g., solid-fuel over liquid-fuel rockets) but the active suppression of research and researchers for political reasons. Sadly, the examples include totalitarian and democratic governments with engineers and scientists far more likely to only lose their livelihoods and not their lives in the latter. Beyond the personal costs of careers destroyed or damaged looms the larger, more intangible consequences to that country of a research area stunted, driven underground, or halted. It can be the national equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot or worse.
Trump questionnaire recalls dark history ofscience
Energy’s interest in climate
An ideologically driven purge?
Worries over dismissal or intimidation
The Department of Energy’s response
Nightfall for climate science?
comments powered by Disqus
- Presidential Inauguration History: From Grand to Fatal to Downright Awkward
- Nazi Doctor Mengele Now Himself Object of Medical Study
- Critics Attacked, History Revised as China Nationalism Rises
- Unpopular out of the gate, Trump making history one more time
- A New Martin Luther King Jr. Parade Divides a Virginia Town
- Kevin Starr, California’s premier historian and USC professor, dies at 76
- Secret WWI telegram holds lessons for today, historians say
- Antisemite, Holocaust denier … yet David Irving claims fresh support
- Timothy Garton Ash says liberalism failed in 2016 because it had succeeded
- Tim Naftali calls on Obama to declassify US intelligence community's assessment of Russian intentions and activities in the 2016 presidential election