Originally published 04/03/2017
William R. Polk
“What is important now, I think, is to develop a clear strategy to employ in the coming four years.”
Originally published 11/06/2013
If the film is “true” to anything in the book, it should be true to Northup’s voice, not his facts; that voice is what makes “12 Years a Slave” so enduring.
Originally published 12/23/2016
"It Can't Happen Here, Can It?" Will Trump and Climate Deniers Purge American Science and Technology?
Is the incoming Trump administration planning a purge of government climate science research and researchers? If historical cases such as Soviet persecution and McCarthyism offer any precedent, such a purge will prove destructive to both careers and the national interests of the United States – and give other countries the opportunity to hire top-quality American researchers.
- Male Historians Have Long Dominated Public Debates. Is Charlottesville a Turning Point?
- Kevin Levin says he’s changed his mind about Confederate statues
- Scholar of African history says his Jewish background didn’t stop him from writing about Muslims and Africa
- Jon Meacham points out why Lee should go but Washington should stay
- "I've studied the history of Confederate memorials. Here's what to do about them."