Northern grove for Jurassic tree ( Australia)
The grove at Inverewe Garden is claimed to be the most northerly planting of Wollemi Pine.
Owners the National Trust for Scotland said the tree, which dates from Jurassic times, could survive for up to 1,000 years.
They were cultivated from trees found to have survived in a single isolated grove in Australia.
The discovery of the pine in 1994 caused a scientific sensation, and prompted the Australian Government to protect the site where it was growing.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian and raconteur Raychauduri dies in UK
- Group is drawing attention to the historic swath between Gettysburg and Monticello
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis