NCH: "Ask Congress to Increase Funding for the Office of Museum Services"Historians in the News
The Tonko/Slaughter letter highlights the many educational and other vital services museums provide and asks the Appropriations Committee to support $50 million for FY10 (a $15 million increase over FY09) for OMS. These funds will help to protect collections nationwide and to help museums continue to meet the increasing demands for their unique programs and services.
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary federal agency responsible for supporting the nation’s 17,500+ museums. Its Office of Museum Services awards grants to museums of all types for educational programming, technology upgrades, professional development, and preservation of treasured collections. The Office of Museum Services is funded through the House Appropriations Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Subcommittee.
Funding for the IMLS’ Office of Museum Services has been essentially flat for the past several fiscal years, despite increased attendance at museums, collections subject to increasing risk, and museum staff members needing professional development in conservation, education, and technology. The educational services museums provide are in greater demand than ever, and in this volatile economy, museums have taken an active role in providing critical social services in their communities.
comments powered by Disqus
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport