NCH: "Ask Congress to Increase Funding for the Office of Museum Services"
The Tonko/Slaughter letter highlights the many educational and other vital services museums provide and asks the Appropriations Committee to support $50 million for FY10 (a $15 million increase over FY09) for OMS. These funds will help to protect collections nationwide and to help museums continue to meet the increasing demands for their unique programs and services.
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary federal agency responsible for supporting the nation’s 17,500+ museums. Its Office of Museum Services awards grants to museums of all types for educational programming, technology upgrades, professional development, and preservation of treasured collections. The Office of Museum Services is funded through the House Appropriations Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Subcommittee.
Funding for the IMLS’ Office of Museum Services has been essentially flat for the past several fiscal years, despite increased attendance at museums, collections subject to increasing risk, and museum staff members needing professional development in conservation, education, and technology. The educational services museums provide are in greater demand than ever, and in this volatile economy, museums have taken an active role in providing critical social services in their communities.
comments powered by Disqus
- Kissinger Memo from 1972: Make the North Vietnamese think Nixon and I are crazy
- How Much U.S. History Do Americans Actually Know? Less Than You Think.
- Ice cream cone named after Adolf Hitler on sale in India sparks anger in Germany
- Isis Palmyra demolition has begun with ancient God Lion statue destroyed
- Robert S. Wistrich, Scholar of Anti-Semitism, Dies at 70
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay