Normandy D-Day veterans hold last ever service in memory of those who fell on beaches 65 years agoBreaking News
But all held their heads high as they paraded proudly in Whitehall to remember their fallen comrades.
Many of the veterans shed a tear yesterday as they attended the last memorial service the Normandy Veterans' Association will organise in London.
At least two collapsed as the humid weather and the long time they had to spend on their feet proved too much.
Wreaths were laid at the Cenotaph in memory of those who died fighting beside them 65 years ago. Their standards were lowered as The Last Post was played, before a minute's silence, and then raised during the Reveille.
This is the association's last memorial service in London because of the age of veterans and their dwindling numbers.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948