Elements of 1960 CIA Report Hold True TodayBreaking News
The estimate, publicly released June 5 by George Washington University's National Security Archives, continues, "Possession of a nuclear weapon capability, or even the prospect of achieving it, would clearly give Israel a greater sense of security, self-confidence and assertiveness."
"In any public announcement concerning their nuclear reactor program, the Israelis would almost certainly stress the peaceful nature of their efforts, but they would also, as time goes on, make plain that henceforth Israel is a power to be accorded more respect than either its friends or its enemies have hitherto given it," reads the estimate.
The December 1960 intelligence analysis, which still has elements redacted, is interesting in today's context as the Obama administration confronts the nuclear weapon ambitions of North Korea and Iran.
Does the understanding of why a friendly country seeks a nuclear weapon apply when the analysis involves two countries that are potential U.S. enemies? No, is the safe bet when public reaction is considered.
comments powered by Disqus
Derry G K Nairn - 6/22/2009
Although your query as to why countries seek nuclear capabilities is pertinent in some sense, I have to wonder why a much more directly relevant question was not posed.
Namely, what are the after-effects on regional international relations when a 'friendly' country, as you put it, acquires nuclear weapons? Israel built its secret nuclear arsenal against its allies' wishes and in contravention of international law.
In doing so, the inevitability of its regional allies seeking to do the same thing arose. Of course Iran wants to build weapons - the biggest reason is that its regional rival has illegally held them for three decades - and without a whisper of criticism from the international community. That's the real issue.
- The First Time a Plane Was Bombed
- Female World War II Pilots Can Now Have Their Ashes at Arlington National Cemetery
- Obama Signs Bill Removing ‘Negro,’ ‘Oriental’ from Federal Laws
- ISIS Destroys Ancient Adad & Mashki Gates in Nineveh, Iraq
- Geographical names with “Jim Crow” are history in this state
- Timothy Garton Ash Puts Forth a Free-Speech Manifesto
- Iowa historian makes independent bid for US Senate
- British feminist historian declines prestigious Israeli award following BDS pressure
- Robert W. Gutman, Biographer of Wagner and Mozart, Dies at 90